Sunday, October 5, 2008

Arrived!

Yesterday was a day of travel and today a day of exploration! The trip was relatively uneventful but I did have a scary experience where I tried to help an Salvadorean woman with her luggage and to find our flight but couldn't understand what she was saying. I will just say that my confidence was not enhanced by this experience. I flew through DC and then San Salvador (which was only about 120 miles from Guatemala City). In the airport I changed money and met Jose, the driver Francisco (who I am staying with) arranged to pick me up.

On our way to Santiago Atitlan, which is about 3 hours, we stopped to get a cell phone. $25 got me a basic phone and 40 minutes time. I saw some of Guatemala City, but it soon got dark. For some reason I could understand Jose
relatively well; it may be because his first language is Tzutujil, the dialect of people of Mayan descent indigenous to Santiago Atitlan.

On arrival to the house of the Sojouels where I am staying, I met Arg
entina and her husband Francisco. They are quite gracious, and patient with my Spanish. The first floor of their house has a living room, dining room, kitchen and two bedrooms. Through a courtyard is an outdoor staircase to the second floor where my bedroom is along with three other bedrooms, a sitting room and the bathroom. It sounds like a huge house, but really most of the rooms are small. The walls are brightly colored stucco and there are pictures covering the walls. My bedroom is cozy and yellow and connected to a sitting room (see pictures). I also met Francisco and Argentina's kids -- 20 something Andrea and 16 or so year old Ricardo. I talked to them a bit, Ricardo showed me how to use the wireless and Andrea encouraged me to venture forth to visit the lake.

This brings me to the exploration part. I had walked around a bit with Argentina to take two bikes to get them fixed and see the market,
so I had some idea of the town. Later in the afternoon I went to the lake, and walked around the market for a while (and bought a few things). Also Argentina took me to the organization that she and her husband run to help kids with disabilities (http://www.mayacom.org/organizations/santiago.htm). There were only a few people there as it is Sunday, but I met someone making crafts which the organization sells to raise money. This afternoon I napped and read a bit which was lovely. I wonder what tomorrow, my first day at Hospitalito Atitlan (http://www.puebloapueblo.org/ha_history.html)!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rebecca, thanks for including me on your email list! I am really excited about your news last week, congratulations!!

Are you having to take anti-malarial drugs there?

I hope everything goes well for you in Guatemala and will follow your blog during your stay.

Hope to see you over the holidays?

Michelle Hawkins

Laura said...

Wow, I'm impressed by how much you've done in two days! It sounds like you are settling in well so far!! I hope things go well for you tomorrow!
love, laura

Bonnie said...

Rebecca! I love your new room -- the yellow is so cute. I had crumb cake from Foster's yesterday, and thought of you. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures...

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you thought to have a blog, Rebecca. I will be avidly following. Miss you already, my friend.

Jess

Unknown said...

where are you staying? can you post a link to the map? -jacob

Unknown said...

You have been very busy over there! It definitely seems that your Guatemalan home is cozy and I think you'll have such a great time :) We miss you over here already! Good luck today and I can't wait to read about it on your blog :) Love Pri