Sunday, November 23, 2008

Travelling Across Lake Atitlan

Yesterday we went to Pana in the morning and did touristy things until about 2PM. The day after that point was quite terrible but before I tell you about it I want to show you a painting I got from a gallery/meditation garden/workshop of a Mayan painter from Panajachel. We had a wonderful tour by the artist's wife and one of the many bizarre things we saw is this cow/monster painted onto the natural face of the rock. I see an elephant in the picture that I got, but what I like most is that it reminds me of this wonderful museum/studio.


Well, then we went to lunch which was lovely until we received a phone call from the Hospitalito. I was with a family medicine doc, a pediatrician, the volunteer coordinator and her husband. The information we got from the hospital is that a boat had sunk in the lake, and there were about 12 people on board some of whom had died before being rescued. The survivors were being brought to the Hospitalito but there were only 2 people working at that time: one doctor and one nurse. We were called and asked to come back immediately.

The ride over to Pana had been a little rough, but to be honest I didn't think it was that bad (compared to going to San Pedro on Tuesday). But sometimes the wind does pick up in the afternoon and with it the waves as well. So we had a bit of a dilemma because we could either take a big, slow and perhaps safer boat back or take a small, fast and perhaps less safe boat back to Santiago. In the end we hired a small boat just for the 5 of us and made sure there were enough life jackets (which we all wore). It was, to say the least, a nerve wracking 30 or so minutes. We saw from the boat that there were about 100 people or so all crowded at the boat dock where we later learned two bodies had been taken to shore.

When we arrived at the Hospitalito there was one French woman who was hypothermic and had aspirated quite a bit of water. I think that her husband had died shortly after arriving at the Hospitalito. I don't want to say too much more to respect their confidentiality, but here is a link to a news clip about the accident. The Malaysian archbishop also died in the accident. Apparently this was the first accident/drowning in 7 years on the lake. We ended up stabilizing the woman and transferring her to a private hospital in Guatemala City. Riding in the back of the ambulance on Guatemalan roads through mountains was, well, not easy on the stomach. It took a little bit over 3 hours to get to the hospital, but it seemed like a very good hospital where she would be in good hands. Here is a picture of Jen (family medicine doc) on the way home in the ambulance. I slept (quite soundly) on the floor of the ambulance on the way back and didn't wake up until we arrived back at the Hospitalito around 2:30AM.

I've thought a lot today about the accident, the people who died and their families. It is still a shock that something like this could have happened. Hundreds of people travel in these boats across the lake every day. I travel in these boats several times a week without ever having seriously considered that something so awful could happen. I did go out on the lake today in a kayak, but stayed very close to shore and wore my life preserver. Apparently the passengers on the boat were urging the captain to go more slowly or turn around but he didn't listen. I believe he is currently in police custody. Supposedly it might be safer for him with the police as I've been told that the community sometimes takes justice into their own hands.

Well, I think that is enough to report for one entry. Today Lago Atitlan, supposedly one of the most beautiful lakes in the world, feels to me like a monster.

2 comments:

Gary Ohama said...

Hello Rebecca,
Hola, Como esta.
Sue and I have you in our prayers. I guess the despair of mortaliity is never understandable. Your profession is one centered around the reality of mortality so this is going to be an everpresent challenge for you. I know that you will be able to continually grow in wisdom and compassion for your patients, and friends, and loved ones; and this will be one of your core/strong/foundational strengths in life. Congratulations! smile. Oh well.
There is an unmistakable, undeniable confidence when faced with these issues when there is clarity in the understanding of the roots of the truth of your faith concerning life/death.
I have a good story/joke that I'm going to use at church this Sunday when I have to give a testimony on my Stewardship/Giving/God's Provision in my life. The story applies to you too. So, I'll practice for my speech by telling you this story.
There is a guy who falls into a deep pit near a hiking trail way back in the woods. No matter how hard he trys, he can't climb out of the deep hole. It's hopeless.
A hospital emplooyee passing by hears his calls for help, looks down at him and says "When you get out of there, you had better come to the emergency ward. A lawyer (uhh ohh) looks down, and throws down his card, and says "Call me." A few days pass and some Boy Scouts hear his calls, now hoarse whispers, look down and run away in terror as he is now a raving maniac desperate for help.
Finally this man (sort of like me) is wandering around, hears his faint sobs, comes over to the pit to investigate. He yells down to the guy "Are you in trouble?"
The guy whispers back "Am I in trouble!!??? I'm going to die down here. I'm trapped. Please, please get some help. You are my only hope."
No sooner than these words are out of the guy's mouth, he is bowled over by the man jumping down into the pit and landing on top of him. They both stand up and the man is brushing himself off and saying "Damn, damn, that sure is a long way down."
This is the last straw for the guy in the pit. He starts pounding on the man and hysterically screams "You fool!!! What in the hell is wrong with you. Now we are both going to die!!!"
The man looks at the guy, grabs both of the man's hands and says "Calm down. Don't worry." "I've been here before."

Love ya,
Gary
Thanks for the chance to practice and organize my story!

Unknown said...

We're trying to get in touch with Narda so we can get some paperwork. If you can help could you email me at agj1000@hotmail.com