Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Guatemalan Post System

This will be a quick post, but I just want to find out what you think about the following:

I have received one very nice package with cookies in it without a problem (Thank you Gary!!).

However, last week I got a letter from the post office saying that I had to call them because there was a package for me in Guatemala City. My host mom called for several days and finally talked to someone who said I had to go to the post office here in Santiago and pay about $15. So, I made repeated attempts to go to the post office which has no posted hours and is rarely open. On my 5th attempt I was able to talk to the postman who was quite surly and said that I had to come back not only with my passport and the money but also with the letter advising me of the arrival of my package.

I asked him why there was this extra charge whereas in the past I had received a package without having to pay extra. He had no answer.

The thing is that I don't mind paying but I feel like it is just a bribe of sorts and I really didn't like this guy at the post office. My host family is going to Guatemala City this weekend and they said they might be able to pick it up from there.

So, should I just suck it up and pay and try not to role my eyes and sigh with exasperation too much? I will be interested to hear your opinions!

1 comment:

Gary Ohama said...

Hola Rebecca,
I think you are learning about the "culture" there. From what I've heard, it is customary in India to pay bribes to get things done by government officials in particular. Sort of "wealth distribution" that affects only the more well off because the poorer folks don't get packages or need services. Perhaps it is customary to negotiate the amount of the bribe. At the post office the other day they asked me if I wanted the package declared "abandoned" if it was "undeliverable." (Whatever that means.) So far we sent three packages (sounds like you have received the 2nd.) via the postal gamble system. It adds to the thrill of having you there. Oh well. I guess that is part of the experience.
In other words, joyfully pay the bribe and consider it "wealth distribution." It is getting more popular everywhere!
Love ya,
Gary